A former governor of Anambra State, Chief Chukwuemeka Ezeife has said that the recent violence/attacks in the South-East are ‘designed to provoke the Igbos into conflict.
Ezeife, during an interview with Arise TV on Wednesday, stated that destruction and bloodshed were not in the character of the Igbo people.
He pointed out that the Indigenous people of Biafra, IPOB was not behind the unrest and killings in the region in recent times.
It will be recalled that the South-East has been experiencing a lot of violent attacks over the last few months. From prison breaks to the destruction of police stations and offices of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
The most recent shocking incident was the gruesome murder of Ex-Presidential aide and APC chieftain, Ahmed Gulak by unknown gunmen in Owerri, Imo state last week.
Ezeife said; “There is the impression that some people, maybe even in the government, are guilty of organising such things and blaming it on IPOB and ESN.
Efforts have been made by our elders of our people to find out the truth and the hands of IPOB and ESN are not there,”
“I am sure you know that at Owerri prison, there was a lot of devastation and the IG of police blamed it immediately on IPOB and ESN.
Even the governor of that state at the beginning thought it was the IPOB and ESN, but now we know that more than 80 per cent of people caught by the CCTV footage are not from the south-east or even the east at all. Now, Gulak is dead.”
“Was it a design again to blow it on IPOB and the ESN? We are learning more now that there is a design to provoke the east.
Igbo do not have the tradition of shedding blood or burning down things.”