The Federal Government on Saturday explained why China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCEC), suspended work on the eastern rail line.
It said the contractor was compelled to pause work along the corridor due to insecurity and vandalisation of rail infrastructure.
Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Jaji Sambo disclosed this during an inspection tour of the project in Port Harcourt.
He said CCEC complained of attacks on its workers along the Abia State axis.
This was contained in a statement in Abuja by the Director of Press and PR of the ministry, Wric Ojiekwe
Sambo, while lamenting the attacks, called on the media and the judiciary to collaborate with the ministry to expose and prosecute the perpetrators.
The minister also described fake news claims that funds meant for the Eastern rail line have been diverted to other projects.
He said: “It was fake news because the progress made so far on the project is from the 15 per cent of the counterpart funding by Nigeria while the 85 per cent to be provided by foreign partners is still negotiated.